Well, I’m single and pretty much have always been so I think it’s best to say that I am a professional single person. I spend my friday nights (Like tonight) watching Netflix with my pumpkin spice chai, and a big blanket just like every other single girl. NO, I do not have a cat, or seven. Yes, I’ve heard the cliches, like this one:
And I get it, please don’t mention it again.
It angers me. I’ve gone out with all my friends and their boyfriends and felt the awkwardness that most of the time I created myself being the third, fifth, seventh or even ninth wheel. (I mean seriously vehicles cannot function like that its a good analogy). So, mostly this post is to say…if you’re single..I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!!
But it’s also because Im angry that single ladies get a bad wrap in today’s society, and I think it’s time we put an end to it! I mean if we had our way we wouldn’t be single right ladies? But right now we have to own up to our good name and stop being defined by our relationship status! It’s okay to be single. It really is.
Here are some things I learned from being a professional single person:
1. And this is the most important rule. Pants are overrated. Being single means friday nights, coming home and spending the whole weekend without pants if you want to. Wearing an oversized t-shirt is my favorite form of pajamas, single people have it made when it comes to nightwear.
Also, this is pretty nice too:
2. Time. it’s all yours. Seriously, you get to schedule your time, and choose when and where you go and who you their with. With a significant other their schedule gets involved and the word COMPROMISE gets involved.
3. Independence. Being single has allowed me to fend for myself and learn how to stand my ground in the world. I’ve never had a man to depend on, so I know even in the rough times in the future I can be alone and depend on myself.
4. In all honesty, Loneliness sucks. I’ve spent many nights alone in my apartment in my own loneliness wishing I had someone to share my life with. That loneliness has forced me to go out and make new friends, take myself out to dinner, go on coffee dates with myself, even shop by myself. All of these little outings revealed to me that I am never truly alone.
5. YOU DONT NEED A MAN TO MAKE YOU FEEL BEAUTIFUL. I think that is general misconception. I am beautiful and single. Two separate things. Just because you are single doesn’t mean that you aren’t attractive. It’s corny and no single lady wants to hear this but, the right man will come and tell you you’re beautiful but until then keep showing off your beauty to the world so he may see it when he comes along.
6. Men get lost. A wise women once said “My man is lost and won’t ask for directions.” Patience sucks but if God put the desire in your heart to love someone in that way, you best believe he will fill it. It just might not be on your timing because let’s face it, men never ask for directions. I’d rather have a relationship on God’s timing than my own, he is preparing me for a man. And he is preparing that man for me. I don’t want a man God has only half prepared for me, I want nothing but the best.
7. I don’t like cats. Not all single ladies are destine to be CAT LADIES. I would much prefer to be a “dog lady”.
8. Being single means never having to do this:
8. Jealousy sucks. Yes, when I go out with my friends I can get jealous from time to time especially if I’m the third wheel. Their cute, the kind of cute that single girls vomit over. They only say it’s gross to deflect from the fact that secretly, or not so secretly, they want all of it. Even the twinkling noses, or saying “no you hang up” for 10 minutes straight. We all want to win the “cutest couple award”.
9. Being single allows you to decided what kind of man you’ll change your relationship status for. I’ve had a lot of time to think about what kind of person I want to share my life with solely by seeing other couples interact and seeing the reasons relationships fall apart.
10. EVERY NIGHT IS GIRLS NIGHT! I mean unless it’s not. But, every night COULD be a girls night.
11. There are so many cute boys to look at. Nows the time, Ladies, take advantage of the sights!
12.Sometimes you have to take action. Let’s face it, if you’re tired of being single, sometimes only you are the one that can change that. Go meet new people, if you thing one is too cute for words, tell him. Who knows what a compliment could do. Just maybe don’t act like this:
So I hope this help those single ladies out there tonight. Even though sometimes it may feel like you are not going to turn out like this:
(I mean, unless you choose that lifestyle).
Let’s go out there ladies, and be single, and ready to mingle!
(My goal is before I get a boyfriend to master this dance, it may not be a realistic goal).